Bone-a-fide

True tales of life after bone cancer.

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Crazy people love my crutches

Dude. I don't know what it is, but my crutches are attracting crazy people like, well, crazy!

Last night, I got locked out of the apartment (short, but boring story--let's just say Brian bought me several drinks out of guilt as a result). I had to take the bus to get to the Bovine for the Battle (I was totally late, missed 87% of Second City's spot--goddamnit). So of course the nice homeless man on the bus immediately befriends me and discusses the fine RTD bus pass options (he goes for the local pass at a very fair $29/month). He supposes they might have a deal for crutch-bound folks such as myself. He literally did not stop talking the whole time. I didn't even have to participate in the conversation! Awesome. I can nod my head for a long time, easy.

Then, in the short time I left the house to get coffee this morning two people accosted me to tell me their stories. The first person says "Those are no fun. You don't want to know what I did to have to be on those!" And I didn't, so I tried to continue on, but apparently, he did want to tell me. (He almost lost his leg in the Golf war--spent two and a half years and five surgeries to recover--a sad story indeed.) He didn't want to know my story--which is fine, because I didn't want to share--but I found it hilarious that he basically stopped me in the store, unsolicited, to tell me HIS.

Then, as I'm walking up the sidewalk to my apartment, trying to balance my grocery bag, latte, crutches, and keys, a woman turns around--she has a cane, and amazing amount of gigantic warts all over her face (way worse than the witch in Hansel and Gretel, I promise)--and says, "I hope I never have to use those!" I give a polite laugh, hoping this is the end of our exchange. (It isn't). She continues, "'Course, with MY conditions, you never know..." So then I'm talking with her for fifteen minutes about the evils of hormone-injected food on our society's health and how China didn't have any diseases until McDonalds set up shop over there.

I'm telling you, if you ever feel you have a hard time making friends, just walk around on crutches and you'll make a ton...they just all might be crazy.

5 Comments:

At 1:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry that you missed most of Second City, what a drag. I believe people have the need to tell their stories because they haven't healed from their experience and really dealt with their emotions over the entire ordeal. It is nice and kind of you to listen so that you can help them in the healing process. When you don't want to help, my advice is where headsets if possible. EA

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger Aubrey said...

So THAT is the key to making friends in Colorado! On my list.... get a pair of crutches (as soon as I get my pants tailored that is...). Isn't it funny what about yourself brings out the talk in people? You should do a STUDY. Something about ME makes people want to invite me to their church. Or is it about Colorado Springs? :)

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger Megora said...

i think you should eventually do one of two things: 1) write a collection of short stories (non-fiction or fiction, you decide) based on the stories strangers tell you on the street merely because you have crutches, or 2) write another one-woman show playing all these characters. You should call the book or show "Crutchiary: stories from the street." Okay. That was supposed to be a synthesis of Crutch and Diary--but it didn't really work. You get it, though.

 
At 4:51 AM, Blogger Shaimaa Elsadek said...

شركة تركيب مكيفات بالرياض

شركة تركيب مكيفات سبليت بالرياض
افضل شركة تركيب مكيفات بالرياض
شركة تركيب مكيفات سبلت بالرياض
تركيب مكيفات سبلت الرياض
شركة كشف تسربات المياه غرب الرياض
شركة فحص فلل بالرياض قبل الشراء
ارقام الشركات المعتمدة لدى شركة المياه الوطنيه وكشف تسربات المياه ارتفاع فاتورة المياه
اسعار الشركات المعتمدة لدى شركة المياه الوطنيه وكشف تسربات المياه ارتفاع فاتورة المياه
افضل الشركات المعتمدة لدى شركة المياه الوطنيه وكشف تسربات المياه ارتفاع فاتورة المياه
شركات كشف تسربات المياه المعتمدة




 
At 7:03 AM, Blogger shaimaa sami said...

شركة مكافحة حشرات بالشارقة
شركة تنظيف كنب بالشارقة
شركة تنظيف خزانات بالشارقة
شركة تنظيف بالبخار بالشارقة

 

Post a Comment

<< Home