Bone-a-fide

True tales of life after bone cancer.

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Crutches, man, crutches

UPDATE: The swelling in my leg has gone down considerably. Hooray! I will have my latest X-ray from the Institute for Limb Preservation sent to Dr. Healey, so he can review it before deciding if I really need to fly out to NYC last minute. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and kind offers of help. I have received so many calls and emails and it makes be feel less alone and hopeless. Thank you, thank you.

Now, I would like to discuss being on crutches again. I’ll start with the positive. One good thing about being on crutch-arrest is that life is much simpler. Mainly, I have fewer choices. Since I can’t get around easily, or carry things all willy-nilly, and have to keep my leg up, iced, many hours of the day, crutch-arrest equals house-arrest. And the good thing about house-arrest is I spend less money and get more work done. I can’t be tempted by worldly temptations like yoga classes or walking to the mailbox or something crazy like that.

The downside is that the palms of my hands are already hurting again! It only took a day on crutches! Second, whatever I did in the horrible red Target shoes I wore to my interview on Monday, messed up my right foot (the foot that needs to support all my weight now). I only wore those cheap shoes for a half hour, and I’ve been nursing bloody blisters for two days and managed to form some sort of bone spur on the outside of my right foot. Seems impossible, but the pain tells me it must be true. Third, I can’t carry cups again! I’m back to choosing to go thirsty or invest in creative measures to get a cup of tea from the kitchen to my desk. I mean, sure, I already had seven months to create good systems, but they seem even harder to employ after being told I didn’t need to be on crutches anymore. Being on crutches after surgery I could understand, it was somewhat tolerable because I was working towards a goal. But I thought I reached that goal. Being put back on crutches feels like a cruel punishment.

Need to finally invest in that crutch cup holder I’ve been dreaming about.

2 Comments:

At 9:24 AM, Blogger empy said...

I just love your sense of humor!!! you SO remind me of my friend Cari. I guess you can't tell from her story how truly crazy she is. Not that you're crazy. ummm, nevermind. :P

I haven't done the crutches thing, but a big arm sling can get one nearly as much relaxation. I could walk around, but not do very much when I got there, so it was easier to let Jason get things for me. Haha. Just remember that too much of this can give one back problems from sitting bum-in-chair for too long. Now I get up and get my own dam drinks! And I sit on a big purple ball when I'm typing. Haha.

There has to be some trick for holding cups with crutches. I will ask Mike. He's been living on them for years and years! And he manages to get stuff done, and I don't think he's dehydrated.

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger Bone-a-fide said...

Mary,
Thanks! And ooh, big purple ball. That's a great idea. I need to get one of those because my posture is terrible in this computer chair of mine. If I'm going to be home healing and typing, might as well work on my CORE while I'm at it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home