Bone-a-fide

True tales of life after bone cancer.

Friday, August 18, 2006

Lil' fatty

Okay, so for those of you who read about my plight with last-minute shopping at Target for interview clothes (BTW, I successfully returned them all, even the mean little shoes); you know I've gained some weight since surgery. Now, that's okay--considering I went from walking several miles around NYC and doing an hour to two of yoga everyday to doing absolutely nothing, it's to be expected. It's uncomfortable and inconvenient, sure, but if it means I get to keep my own leg, a little extra girth is hunky-dory with me. To celebrate payday today I went to Buffalo Exchange (a trendy 2nd hand store in Denver) and purchased a $9 pair of pants. Nice. However, I noticed they were THREE sizes bigger than the size I was pre-surgery last December. To add to the cruel awakening, the pants I picked had...wait for it...elastic. That's right, elastic in the waist. A few more months of this and I'll be shopping for muumuus.

Standing in the too-cool changing room I had a scary thought...but first, let me take a moment to describe the setting to you: These changing rooms are tall cylinders with brightly colored Plexiglas walls, and they are on wheels. It was a psychedelic experience standing in the small space surrounded by neon-kiwi bendy walls. Plus, they don't provide a real seat--it might cramp the cylinder's style. All they have is a metal T-shaped bar sticking out of the wall, which I think you're not actually supposed to use to rest your rump, but perhaps just as a spot to place your foot as you delicately untie your laces. How did I come to this conclusion? Because--being on crutches and needing a seat--I tried to sit on the unforgiving bar and what happened? The entire cylinder-on-wheels tipped. Yes, that’s right. My newly-fat ass made the DRESSING ROOM TIP. It went WA-WOMP. So here I am hopping around, dizzy from the Fun-house effects, trying to get my leg through a pair of pants while making sure to not a. put weight on my one leg that's at risk of catastrophic fracture and b. trying not to put any undo pressure on the “room” so I don't make the giant cylinder go WA-WOMP again, or worse, tip over completely, with me inside like a pig in a blanket. And that's when I had my scary thought:

What if the reason my hardware is at risk is because I've gotten too fat?! Maybe the doctors specially designed the plates and screws for the original-sized Sara, and now my rapid weight gain is making the hardware sag under the pressure of me, like an IKEA bookshelf with too many hardcover books.

5 Comments:

At 11:40 AM, Blogger Megora said...

NOOoooooooooooooo!!! Do you really think titanium is supposed to crumble under the weight of someone who is still under 200 pounds????? Why would they even bother, then? I mean, why don't they just slap some toothpicks together with elmers glue and lace that up to the inside of your leg? why not that? Not fat. not fat!!!

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger Megora said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Megora said...

Um, someone just told me this info. I think it is great, but can't take credit for the genius...

"By the way, Wolverine of the X-men has his bones made out of an indestructable metal called Adamantium--your doctors should look into it."

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger Bone-a-fide said...

Megora:

Ooh, I want to be indestructable and able to magically heal myself just like Wolverine. I need to get me some of that Adamantium. (Though, then I'd have a whole new crop of issues, like not running into Magneto!)

 
At 6:51 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

soccer jerseys, ray ban, mac cosmetics, nfl jerseys, herve leger, p90x workout, hollister, louboutin, nike air max, hollister clothing, vans outlet, gucci, oakley, nike huaraches, soccer shoes, hollister, timberland boots, converse outlet, longchamp uk, north face outlet, reebok outlet, mcm handbags, bottega veneta, nike trainers uk, mont blanc pens, instyler, babyliss, new balance shoes, insanity workout, ghd hair, asics running shoes, beats by dre, abercrombie and fitch, nike air max, valentino shoes, wedding dresses, converse, vans, ferragamo shoes, lululemon, chi flat iron, celine handbags, nike roshe run, iphone cases, hermes belt, ralph lauren, north face outlet, baseball bats, giuseppe zanotti outlet, jimmy choo outlet

 

Post a Comment

<< Home