Bone-a-fide

True tales of life after bone cancer.

Monday, September 18, 2006

Orange you glad you didn’t say wheatgrass?

Bleck, bleck, bleck. Yuckity, yuckity. Have you ever done shots of wheatgrass? I’m trying to get back into super-healthy mode and today was the first day I forwent my latte in place of wheatgrass. Wow, is there no comparison. Of course, I know this, but it’s been a while since my days of double-wheatgrass-shots-no-chaser. I just had my flax meal/protein/calcium drink and now the wheatgrass is reminding me that although I’m healthy, I’m WAY far away from where I was. There’s a good reason though: orange bones.

That’s right. When I was in the hospital after surgery one of the assisting surgeons told me that my bones were ORANGE. I said, Where the tumor was? And he said, No, everywhere we could see. (Which include the entire femur, knee, top of my tibia and hip bone.) I asked Dr. Healey about it and he said they thought it was from too many antioxidants. WHAT?! I thought antioxidants were good for you? He said they were and that it might be the reason my tumor was slow-growing, but on the flip side--something to do with my type of tumor—might mean it could have metastasized to other parts of my body sooner. I was shocked. I was TOO healthy?

I asked what I could do to make my bones not-orange and he said, Nothing, just don’t eat big plates of carrots. I was fine giving up carrots (don’t like ‘em) but it made me question my whole outlook on health and diet, and I kind of gave up on a lot of what I learned had made me feel good.

Frankly, it wasn’t hard to bring cookies and dairy back into my diet and cut down on the wheatgrass and sprouts. I thought I was “living in balance,” which everyone always raves about but rarely attains, but recently I’ve just been thinking how much better I felt when I was a health nut. I don’t really know why I had/have orange bones or what that means, and I don’t think the doctors really know either. But I do know I felt more energetic and focused. So I’m going to try going back to what the rest of body likes, and hope my bones catch on. (My nails/skin/teeth were never orange! It’s SO weird! Such a mystery, these bodies of ours.)

But man, wheatgrass, maybe I don’t have to bring that one back just yet. (YUCK!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home