Bone-a-fide

True tales of life after bone cancer.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Improv is deep, man

I just got back from coaching an awesome all-girl improv group, The Box Fans, who will be performing at the Denver Improv Festival this October.

For those of you who don't know, Brian and I met in our college improv group, The Lords of Misrule, our freshman year of college. Two years after we graduated The Lords moved to New York to perform together and live together. Anyway, improv has been a big part of my life for a long time. I was excited to move back to Denver and start performing with Impulse Theater again and at my friends' new theater, MaDcap. Alas, I stopped rehearsing with both groups once I was put back on crutches last month. So, co-coaching (with Brian) The Box Fans has been super fun, and has kept me involved in the improv world.

Tonight I was inspired by a quote from Martin de Maat (amazing person and teacher): "Find the child in your partner. Respect that child."

See, this is what I love about improv: the tenets of improv--to listen, support, trust, have fun, play--are the tenets for life. Imagine if we all worked at finding the basic goodness in everyone in our lives and respected that.

Okay, not necessarily funny, but true.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home