Bone-a-fide

True tales of life after bone cancer.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

ARRRGGG!

Beware, a rant…

Okay, I know that surgeons are big, important, busy people, but seriously, if they’re going to easily bat around words like “catastrophic” and “failure” in regards to your leg, couldn’t they at least call a girl back?!

I’ve called Dr. Kelly and Dr. Healey a couple times in the last two days. Neither have reported back to me if my leg will combust soon and if I should take measures to prevent this from happening. Apparently Dr. Healey’s office has not received my x-rays from the Institute for Limb Preservation here in Denver, which means they sent the disc regular mail instead of Fed-ex (thanks). When I spoke with Dr. Kelly’s office on Monday they told me she would look at the x-rays and call me back. I asked if I should make an appointment and they said, No, wait to hear from Dr. Kelly. Well, I waited.

I left messages yesterday too, same deal. Today I finally spoke to someone who tells me my x-rays are still sitting in a pile on her desk and I was supposed to make an appointment as soon as they received the x-rays (hello, how would I know when they received their mail? And why am I being blamed for other people in their office telling me to wait to hear back?!). So now I have an appointment for tomorrow at 3pm, only so she will be forced to look at my x-rays while I’m waiting in her office, instead of just looking at them now and telling me if my hardware is indeed in danger. (The nurse assured me—with much tripping over his words—that this was not “lazy” on the part of Dr. Kelly, it’s just that she’s SO busy…and, basically, saying in different words what I guessed: that me sitting there will be her only motivating factor to glance at a scan.) I’m so annoyed I could scream. I’m so unimpressed with Dr. Kelly. As soon as this mess is sorted out, I will find a new ortho-oncologist in Denver. I miss living near MSKCC.

6 Comments:

At 11:23 AM, Blogger Megora said...

Um...I suspect we have yet another VERY GOOD candidate for glitterrevenge.com. Enjoy, Dr. Kelly!

 
At 11:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Umm, when you do see Dr. Kelly, it sounds to me like whatever she says should be taken with a grain of salt while you pack your bags and head to NYC. BLAH!

In the future, here is another way to get things done. When you get your scans done, talk to the technician or go to hospital records and request a CD of the scans ON THE SPOT. Do not leave without said CD. [You can also ask when the written report will be completed about your scans. When it is completed, you can go back to radiology or records and get a copy of the written report and e-mail it or fax it to the docs.] Then when you get home, take the most telling image or images and e-mail them to Dr. Healey. If you do not have his e-mail, get his assistant's e-mail. Call the office until you get someone's e-mail address! Then call to confirm that the e-mail was received and the images will be shared with the doc.

When it's your limb and your life, you learn to do it yourself. Nobody cares about your leg as much as you do! Take your leg into your own hands!!! :P

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger Bone-a-fide said...

Thanks for the advice, Mary. I wish I had known (or thought to ask) that I could have emailed him the scans myself! I've definitely learned from this experience and will be WAY more assertive in the future.

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger Brian Padian said...

wow, that's annoying!
maybe the nurse messed up and is covering?

 
At 4:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's yet another GOOD use for your crutches: whacking idiot surgeons and nurses upside the head!

 
At 6:51 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

soccer jerseys, ray ban, mac cosmetics, nfl jerseys, herve leger, p90x workout, hollister, louboutin, nike air max, hollister clothing, vans outlet, gucci, oakley, nike huaraches, soccer shoes, hollister, timberland boots, converse outlet, longchamp uk, north face outlet, reebok outlet, mcm handbags, bottega veneta, nike trainers uk, mont blanc pens, instyler, babyliss, new balance shoes, insanity workout, ghd hair, asics running shoes, beats by dre, abercrombie and fitch, nike air max, valentino shoes, wedding dresses, converse, vans, ferragamo shoes, lululemon, chi flat iron, celine handbags, nike roshe run, iphone cases, hermes belt, ralph lauren, north face outlet, baseball bats, giuseppe zanotti outlet, jimmy choo outlet

 

Post a Comment

<< Home