Bone-a-fide

True tales of life after bone cancer.

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Sorry-ass gene pool

In training news: (I LOVE that I can say I'm training for something!) I rode another ten miles yesterday, but this time I rode much faster. I was actually breathing hard and sweating! I decreased my ten-mile ride time by 15 minutes. Yeah!

So, a while ago I blogged about needing to fill out the hereditary packet so I could make an appointment with a genetic counselor at the cancer center here in Denver. First of all, I used to think it was funny it's called a "genetic counselor," as if someone could sit down and chat with your DNA. But after finishing my packet, I have to say my genes could use some serious talking to!

Psychotherapy. Regression therapy. Electro-shock therapy. I dunno what, but something! It's not pretty. But, I suppose, while knowledge is power, sometimes it's also TMI.

1 Comments:

At 9:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So how many of these cases happened after age 60? And how many of these people lived to be at least 60? I'm just saying, we've all gotta die somehow. ;) If you raise a child in a loving home and that child gets 60 good years of life, that's something pretty special. And even though I had cancer at 28, I'm glad my parents had me. My life is rich, very rich. There are tons of autoimmmune diseases, diabetes, alzheimer's, spinal issues, etc. in my family. UGH. The more we know in medicine, the more we've got. Go figure!

And YAY for the training progress. Pedal, Sara, pedal! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home