Bone-a-fide

True tales of life after bone cancer.

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Six months already?!

Next Monday I have my six month follow up with Dr. Healey. So, of course, the good ol’ Anxiety Monster has been making it difficult to sleep lately. It will also be the first follow-up since I started back at Impulse Theater where I’ve been running around the stage more than I “should”--which, for me, is none. Last time Dr. Healey gave me strict instructions to “only run when chased.” So, I’ve probably been pushing it in the heat of the moment. It will be good to be assured that everything is still structurally sound.

Other updates:
1. My mom got diagnosed with Patellofemoral Syndrome. She has no cartilage left in her knees and has begun gait training to learn how to walk and exercise correctly for the first time in her life. Go mom! Apparently, it’s a genetic condition, so—especially with my post-surgery knee issues—I have to beware. In fact, I started seeing an amazing chiropractor/applied kinesiologist who looked at my left leg X-ray and said my kneecap was wearing unevenly.

2. I’m super excited about the heated race for the democratic presidential candidate. I even caucused last week! What a strange and ridiculous process that is. And even though I hold a degree in political science, I still don’t get the Super Delegates thing. Or maybe I’m just appalled it’s still part of the election process. SO archaic!

3. Despite anxiety about my check-up, I’m looking forward to just getting on a plane and leaving work and responsibilities behind for a few days. And to see my friends!

4. Books: I took the night off last night and read LUSH by Natasha Friend, a YA novel (8th grade) about a girl dealing with her father’s alcoholism. My friend Ben gave it to me for my birthday (thanks, Ben!). It was a well-told story and even made me cry. Then I started another YA (older teens) called GRAFFITI GIRL by Kelly Para. So far the characters are fresh and the writing engaging. On the plane this weekend I hope to finally finish DEVIL IN THE WHITE CITY by Eric Larson (thanks, Megan!). It's a nonfiction book that reads like a thriller. It's about Chicago during the time of the World's Fair and looks at two famous men during that time--genius architect Daniel Burnham and serial killer Dr. H. H. Holmes. It's extra interesting to me since Daniel Burnham is my great-great uncle!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home