Bone-a-fide

True tales of life after bone cancer.

Monday, June 25, 2007

Swan Mountain Pass

I had a mildly triumphant weekend.

First of all, Perry and Colin stopped through Colorado on their cross-country road trip from NYC to LA. Along with Ben, the five of us went to Brian’s family’s house in Dillon. So, I laughed more the past four days than I have since, well, when our friend Megan was in town. (I hate that our close group is now scattered across the country (and soon, across the continent.)) But it’s good to have these mini-reunions when we can--if only because one begins to miss the comforting hum of one's closest friends laughing in unison…at one's expense. Plus, there’s nothing like gathering around the laptop’s glow and settling in for a nice group session of You Tube viewing to really reconnect.

On Saturday Brian and I rode fourteen miles around Lake Dillon. It was a perfect ride. The weather was sunny and serene, the views exquisite, and the path was smooth-- hilly enough to make it challenging without killing me (bonus!). SUCH a difference from last week’s ride.

On Sunday we got back on our bikes and rode eighteen miles. Not only that, we rode over Swan Mountain Pass. We started at 9,000 feet and increased in elevation 650 feet over 3 miles. I was in my lowest gear the whole time peddling my hardest. It was SO hard. I had to rest a few times, but I tried to keep focused on my breath and the road a foot in front of me. Honestly, what kept me going was Brian shouting encouragement behind me, and my gratitude. Maybe the gratitude part sounds cheesy, but each time I wanted to give up and turn around down the mountain, I took a look at what I was doing, what I am capable of doing, of my little miracle leg, and found a new burst of energy. When we reached the top of the mountain, it felt like a bonafide feat.

Then we had the terrifying ride down the mountain, with me doing my best to burn out my breaks. When we reached the bottom, it felt like a different kind of miracle. Ah, life.

The best news of all, I feel great today. I could get back on my bike for another long ride. I feel READY for Vermont!

In Team Sarcoma 2007 fundraising news: Sadly, I am no where near my fundraising goal. ;-( To help me in my quest, please click here. Or, if you're a friend or family member and know my mailing address, you can write a check out to "FJC" and mail it to me. Also, if you HAVE donated and I just don't know because you sent it directly to FJC, please email me or add a comment on my blog (you can do so anonymously if you prefer) letting me know you donated, so I know I'm getting closer to my goal. THANKS!

1 Comments:

At 6:39 AM, Blogger Doctor David said...

Once again, reading your blog entries is just so inspiring. I have a teenaged patient with Ewing sarcoma that was in his buttock (so after surgery, you can imagine how hard it was for him to walk). After we were done therapy, he came back to see me the happiest I had seen him in months. Why? He was now riding his bike all over town, just like he had before he got sick.

Keep up the good work!

David Loeb
loebda@jhmi.edu
www.hopkinssarcoma.org
http://doctordavidsblog.blogspot.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home