Bone-a-fide

True tales of life after bone cancer.

Friday, June 08, 2007

Ups and Downs

I know I've been excited with my reports of my longer rides and getting stronger, so I thought I'd keep it real and let you all know I had my first cane-day in a while yesterday. I was in a pilates class Tuesday--because it's really been helping me strengthen the little muscles of my leg that haven't been developing along with the bigger muscles--and I did too much and strained the inside of my knee.

It's hard not to feel discouraged by the fact I've wanted to ride my bike the past few days, but instead I have to stay home and ice it...and break the ol' cane out.

Finding the balance in recovery is so hard, isn't it? You have to get out there and move or you'll never regain your strength, but somedays you misjudge how far you can grow that day, and set yourself back. But, truly, as long as what's causing the pain isn't any of the "biggies," resting up sounds perfectly fine!

2 Comments:

At 3:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish it was all black and white - have surgery, be determined, get strong. For us it's more like - wake up each morning, be determined, and you never know what your body will do next.

I will say that riding all those miles on your bike AND doing pilates is a LOT! Do you give yourself rest every other day? I find that I can't go to the gym and do weights one day, cardio the next day like I used to. My body wants rest days in between now. So whatever I want to accomplish, I have to pack it into about 3 hours a week. So if I do a particularly long session at the gym, I usually have to wait until the third day to go back. Right now, because I recently overdid it, I have to wait FOUR days in between. ARGH! The rest of the time, just doing all the tasks of daily life is enough for me, and sometimes too much for me. It can be frustrating, but it's understandable, so I try to stay in acceptance mode. :)

HUGS - feel better soon!

 
At 7:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Sweet Sara,
I wish I was with you laying around in beautiful Co.We would talk & talk & laugh!Ha !!!1 .. Mom was here yesterday it made my day... no week .. no month! It was fantastic just being together for a few hours!
I hope that cane walks away from you soon .Thats supposed to make you smile!
Love you, Debbie
P.S. Thanks for the beautiful thoughtful card!xoxo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home